Welcome to the GR School of Mouthpieces! This is the place you want to visit in order to learn all that you can about brass instrument mouthpieces in order to optimize your musical performance on your brass instrument.
Now, we understand that all of this can look intimidating at first but as you navigate through the various parameters tutorials, we are certain that you will achieve a better understanding of all components which make up the mouthpiece.
Please enjoy your visit to the GR School and be sure to contact us with any questions you may have.
Let's get started!
Below you will see the GR Parameters Diagram. These parameters are on every mouthpiece out there.
GR is the only manufacturer who defines and assigns a numerical value to mouthpiece parameters.
This is important to the player for the following reasons:
- Numerical values mean repeatability. This means that if you as a player have success with a certain alpha angle as an example, this angle can be repeated on other cup volumes or mouthpiece models.
- No guesswork involved. If we know a certain blow resistance works for you, we have those numbers and can repeat them for your other mouthpieces.
- Accurate design work. Custom mouthpieces can be made more precisely to fit your needs as a player using these defined parameters.
- Accurate manufacturing. These parameters are programed into every design and accurately cut using our CNC equipment.
- Not touched by human hamds. Once programed, our CNC machines do the work. Each action is carefully watched by Gary Radtke but at no time is hand work involved.
- GR never does hand tooling, which is inaccurate and unrepeatable. This is only achieved using the GR Parameters.
- The Sound Wave is never interrupted. This is the basis for all GR Compu-Balanced designs.